Sunday, February 21, 2016

Modern maven

I've pushed my first release of Modern-J, a maven archetype (project starter), to github. Mostly this is for myself, to have a decent maven archetype for starting spikes and projects.

One thing I learned about maven is dealing with version mismatch in dependencies. The technique is not to modify <dependency> blocks with exclusions but to add a <dependencyManagement> block:

<dependencyManagement>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>junit</groupId>
            <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
            <version>${junit.version}</version>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>
</dependencyManagement>

(My POM sets "junit.version" to 4.12.)

This resolves the dependency mismatch between current JUnit (4.12) and the JUnit for System-Rules (4.11), a wonderful JUnit @Rule I hope to see eventually bundled with JUnit itself.

UPDATE: Hat tip to Qulice who beat me there first, though I'm not as strict.

No comments: